Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Learning a New Skill: Illustrator

Suzy learned a new trick recently. I’ve been trying to teach her to sit up for nine and a half years. Last fall, she decided it was worth knowing how to do. I guess I switched to the right treats.

I’m sure you’ve heard the adage that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill, but did you know it takes only 20 hours to learn a skill? My goal for January is to finally learn how to use Adobe Illustrator.

I began my study about two weeks ago with a free online Illustrator crash course. Even Art School Daughter learned a few tricks.

Illustrator Extrude Exercise    

I think I’ve finally gotten a rudimentary understanding of the pen tool. Here’s my first solo pen tool attempt.

My first freehand pen tool drawing.

 

So I’m up to the point where I tried to convert one of my own drawings into a vector drawing. Vector drawings are great if you need an image that can be enlarged without getting fuzzy.

Here’s my little raccoon. Her name is Pansy. Pansy needs to lay off of the pancakes, but she loves them so.

SC-Original-sketch

Pansy also needs a makeover. Look at all of those lines.

SC-In-progress

Time for some body work.

SC-Illustrator-sketch   

I added some sketchy lines and a few items for Pansy to clutch.

purse-raccoon   

Look, no fuzziness when I resize!

SC-raccoon-size

I’m pleased with my progress so far. Everyday the controls seem less cryptic. I’m now working on the pattern for an antique quilt my husband’s grandmother owned. I had been trying to recreate the pattern in Illustrator for months without success because I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. Now, I do.

What is it you’ve always wanted to learn? It only takes 20 hours.

Thanks,

Aimee

1 comment:

  1. Well, learning a new skill can be difficult but with perseverance you can get through it. Adobe is a fantastic tool to learn. Wish you good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!