Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3D Plastic Zoo

If you can dream it, you can do it.
Walt Disney

So we dreamt it, and we did it.

raptor head

My daughter modeled the mounted raptor in Sculptris.

Here’s the raptor printed in ABS plastic using the Solidoodle 3D printer.

Daughter then dreamt of a hippo…

and he slowly rose from the plastic pond.

Again, she sculpted with virtual clay in Sculptris.

I dreamt of a dachshund coin, just to see if it could be done.

dachshund blender

So I took a picture of Suzy the dog, modeled her profile, and it worked! I printed out the file with the 3D printer, and again, it worked! Gave it a quick sand and then slathered it with silver Rub–N–Buff. I glued it on my broken key chain for portable art.

My daughter has a dinosaur tooth or claw she’s in the process of painting. Good old gesso works better than plastic primer on the ABS. After priming, acrylic craft paint sticks to the plastic. Oh, the possibilities! We’ve already had to order a new reel of plastic for more printing.

What should we print next?

Thanks,

Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!