When I was a kid, I had a tabletop loom. I loved moving the yarn over and under to create fabric, but I never could prevent the yarn from pulling too tightly in the middle and creating an hourglass shape.
My mission this week was to make a rug using simple weaving of fabric strips. I couldn't make it that easy on myself.
Enter graph paper. I found a diamond weaving pattern on an origami site and obsessively worked to translate the pattern to an over-under code. I also was constrained by my fabric amounts. Fabric is thin and must be folded several times to give it the weight necessary for a rug. A rug requires a lot of fabric.
Finally, it was time for the weaving. I started with the middle strip, which I had calculated to be Row 6 in my six–row pattern repeat. I marked it with a pin so I could keep track of my row count.
After the first pattern repeat, the weaving went quickly.
Notice my mistake? I cut the green strips at exactly 23 in., which gives me no room for adjustment on the sides. I cut the white broadcloth with several inches to spare. I had to use pins to keep my rows from shifting.
I thought I needed to snug up the rows to keep the pattern looking seamless, but I overtightened everything while I chatted on the hands–free phone for several calls.
Now its all too tight. I haven't had a moment to spare this weekend to loosen it back up. When I get it just right, I'll sew the loose edges together and cover the ends with the extra green fabric used as binding.
A tabletop rug goes quickly once you get your strips made. It's the prep work that takes awhile. I do have another tabletop rug planned because it is fun to see the pattern develop, but I'm going to take my time with making the strips. I may have another rug to show in, oh, six months or so.