Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

The 3D Printer

My husband is a gadget guy. If it’s a technical toy, he has to have one. You should see the excitement in this house when the UPS man is at the door.

His latest and greatest is a Solidoodle 3D printer. If you can dream it, you can print it in 3D.

Solidoodle 3D Printer Solidoodle 3D Printer Solidoodle 3D Printer in action.

Several free software packages are available to draw a 3D image. The Solidoodle prints the image by “drawing” layer upon layer of ABS plastic. The nozzle melts a string of ABS plastic (which looks a lot like weed whip string) onto a heated platform. The plastic hardens almost immediately as it is drawn.

cable needleSince I needed a cable needle for my knitting class, I gave my husband a rough drawing, and he modeled a needle for me.

A quick rub with some fine sandpaper made the new needle smooth enough to slide through yarn without catching.

Oh, the possibilities!

What would you make with a 3D printer?




Thanks,
my name

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!