Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Christmas in July: Let's make some gifts

Here we are in the last week of July. Have you made any progress on your Christmas projects and gifts?

This week I'm working on my gift list. I am not a huge fan of gift cards. They seem impersonal to me. I will admit to giving them as gifts, though. Sometimes, I just have no other ideas in mind.

I thought a gift card might be more fun for me to give if my giftee had to work a little to get it. Plus, there is no guessing what is in a sealed can until you open it. Muwhahaha. Gift peekers foiled!


The last time I opened a can, I used an under–the–rim can opener to preserve the lip of the can lid. I measured the width of the original label and then washed out the can.


Since gift cards are rather generic, I thought a generic can label might be funny. I actually weighed a gift card (½ oz, 0.03125 lb, and 14.175 g in case you were wondering). I printed out a simple label and sprayed it with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel to give the label a bit of gloss and water protection.

Now for the fun part. The original top of the can will now be the bottom. I filled the can with gift bag filler and popped in the gift card. I squeezed a thin bead of model glue on the lip of the lid and adhered the lid.
I used a glue stick to adhere my generic label to the can. I guess I could include a can opener with the gift can, but it would be more fun to see the giftee try to figure out where I keep the can opener (especially if he/she lives with me).

Thanks,
Aimee

Linked Up @
homework * Watch Out Martha * Creative Mondays Blog Hop * Create with Joy * Making the World Cuter * Mad in Crafts * Cowgirl Up! * Sugar Bee Crafts

4 comments:

  1. How about opening a tin with a ring-pull lid upside down? (not a drinks ring pull, a tinned soup or tinned hot dogs.)Then they can just pull the ring. I use these for stoking fillers; I have to admit, I'm delighted your generic label. Very elegant and witty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea, Rhissanna! I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Aimee - your project has been featured at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

    Thanks so much for sharing it with us - I look forward to seeing more fabulous projects from you!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the idea of making gift...I am also working to make Gift Card envelopes for gift cards.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!