Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Stacked Paper Beads


As soon as I saw the chapter on making your own beads, especially paper beads, I was hooked for the week.
I have tons of scrap paper just waiting to become pretty beads.


This summer, I've been wanting a chunky Wilma Flintstone–style necklace to wear with my tee shirts, so I came up with a stacked chunky paper bead.

For each bead, I cut the following strips across the short side of a letter–size piece of scrap paper (and one old Texas road map):

One ¾–in. strip
Two ½–in. strips
Three ¼–in. strips

I rolled each strip from largest to smallest on a toothpick, securing each layer with a glue stick. Each bead is ¾–in. long. I wanted a 16–in. long necklace, so I made four of each color paper.

I sealed each bead with a layer of Mod Podge gloss.


I followed the directions in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beading for stringing, and now I have my chunky necklace.


Have you ever gotten so immersed in a project that time simply disappears? The beading continues...

Thanks,
Aimee


4 comments:

  1. I just love paper beads! Yours are so pretty. Thanks for posting your paper beads and giving me some great ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're addictive to make.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!