Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Stab Binding Notebook (with Collagraph Printing!)


I've been needing a little notebook/idea–catcher/sketchbook that I can keep close at hand. This week's craft book allowed me to attempt several techniques I've been wanting to try, and I have a usable notebook to boot.

For the notebook pages, I cut ten sheets of 8x11 sketch paper into quarters for a total of 40 4x5½–in. sheets. I chose Japanese stab crossed–ribbon binding to assemble the notebook.

Japanese stab bindings traditionally use four holes to bind the pages. Basically, you draw a line half an inch from the edge, and then measure down half an inch from the top and make a mark for the top hole. For the bottom hole, measure up half an inch and make a mark. For the two middle holes, measure the distance between the top and bottom marks and divide the space by 3.


I chose silk embroidery ribbon to sew my papers together, so I used a 3/8–in. hole punch to make holes large enough to accommodate at least two passes of the ribbon.

Fun fact: I made the cutting board in junior high wood shop and the metal hammer in junior high metal shop.

Japanese stab binding books can be made with a paper back cover. I used watercolor paper, which is utterly boring left in its natural state. It needed some color, which a collagraph print can provide.

Collagraph? It's a method of printing using thin cardboard plates. You collage or glue items (or other bits of cardboard) onto a cardboard plate, seal the cardboard with Mod Podge, and then ink the plate and press it onto paper.


I used my electronic cutter to cut part of a hymn into thin cardboard. I then Mod Podged the phrase onto a cardboard plate and sealed all the surfaces.


I mixed craft paint with glaze and rolled it onto the printing plate with foam rollers and placed it on top of a piece of water color paper that I had cut just slightly larger than my 4x5½–in. pages. I used the Mod Podge bottle to burnish the paper against the plate to aid in the paint transfer.


Not bad for my first try. I also cut out a three–layer sun to print onto the back cover.

  

Once the covers were dry, I cut holes in their margins using the page template. I used a criss–cross sewing pattern using a blunt darning needle and silk embroidery ribbon. It really was that easy.


I punched the holes on the wrong side of the back cover, so I've converted it into another front cover.



I really enjoyed making this little notebook, and collagraph printing is a blast. The printing plates can also be used for crayon rubbing.

Crayon rubbing using the collagraph printing plates.
I was able to strike two more items off my crafty wish list of techniques to try. Happiness is painty fingers and bits of paper strewn all over.

Thanks,
Aimee

Linked Up @
Mad in Crafts * homework

2 comments:

  1. That's some creative hard work
    great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It helps to have an art student as a daughter. She's taking printmaking this semester and is sharing her knowledge.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!