Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Craft Book Challenge Week 23: Retro Boho

A few years ago, I picked up a few volumes of a rad craft book set from the 1970s. I always wondered what retro goodness I was missing in those lost volumes. In the last month or so, I have seen two complete sets of the Make It Yourself library. After years of searching, I found my holy grail! I called my son to read off the volumes I already had, and I happily broke up one of the sets to complete my own.


And look at the fabulousness contained within: manly men, androgynous children, women who had burned their bras just before posing in sheer blouses, and home patterns so ugly they'd burn your eyes out if you looked at them directly.

Beanbag couches? Oh, the humanity!

My dad calls the '70s an ugly time. I vaguely recall the burnt orange and brown decor, but I was a child of the '80s. Go neon.

So why in the world would I want to make a project from a clearly outdated craft book? Because everything old is new again, that's why.

The shops are full of cute peasant tops. And look, peasant top patterns from probably the first revival of the style:





Hey, I might be in style this summer!

Do you have any retro styles you'd like to see revived?

Thanks,
Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!