Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Five–Minute Rock




My garden is edged in stones, but not all of them are real. After dropping a few bucks on real rocks and scrounging reject rocks from friends, I still didn't have enough edging stones to ring my expanding gardens. 

Last year I found an idea on the Garden Web forums where user wendy2shoes plopped wet hypertufa concrete mix into a plastic bag to make "rock" edging. I didn't have a bag of concrete at the time, but I did have grout left over from a bathroom tile project. And look, grout works too!


The process is easy. I like to mix 4 parts grout to 1 part water. Sometimes I add kitty litter or craft sand into the mix.


          


I plop my mix onto the side of the bag to avoid the wrinkles at the bottom before I twist up the bag.


I set the bag either twist side up or down depending on whether I want to add extra texture to the stone. I then let the "rock" set up a day or two before I unwrap it and place it in the garden bed.



I sometimes rub the "rock" with a real rock to make a sandstone texture.



I still have to make about ten more rocks, but the mixing literally takes 5 minutes. I knew those 5 bazillion grocery bags I had saved would come in handy.

Thanks,
Aimee

Linked up @
Cowgirl Up! * Mad in Crafts * Happy Hour Projects * Craftionary * Homework

9 comments:

  1. This is such a creative way to make rocks when you can't find them! I also like that you can make them to the size you need for edging. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. They're fun to make too.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had seen this post on Sunday morning. We just installed some tile and had leftover grout. I could have made a rock of my own! I would love it if you would share at my linky party Tout It Tuesday http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/05/tout-it-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun.. It's like a class room project we used to make plates with, but who knew you could make stones.. Super cool idea! Can't really tell the difference between the 2nd and 3rd stone in the last picture.. Thanks for linking up Aimee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen on DIY shows where they use coloured powders now to colour concrete. Coloured stones could be nice looking as well I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aimee, how much sand did you use in the 4-part grout mix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ingrid. I usually sprinkle the colored sand into the bag before I pour in the grout mix. I want the colored sand to adhere to the outside of the "rock."

    ReplyDelete
  7. How heavy are they? I'd like to make fake "wall stones" veneer but am trying to figure out a lighter than concrete way to do it. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!. They are lighter than concrete because they do not contain gravel. You might look at Hydrocal to cast them if you can find it.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!