Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Painted Ukrainian Easter Eggs

If you thought you might learn a few tips on producing traditional Ukrainian Easter eggs this week, you'll be disappointed.

Behold my epic tjanting skills!

But, when life hands you lemons, make egg salad.
I know that makes no sense. What I really mean to say is when all else fails, go back to what you know. I need a lot more practice to wield a tjanting. I can handle a paint brush and a pen.


I began by painting a paper mache egg with an Eastery color. After lightly sketching a design from the book Eggs Beautiful, I simply traced my lines with extra fine and regular permanent markers in black.

Real pysanky uses dyes in multiple colors.


I painted the eggs with the base color of my design and traced over all my penciled lines with a liner brush dipped in white paint thinned with extender. I then just painted the different colors over the white as necessary. The white helps the color stay true. For the blue egg, I painted the entire design in white and then overpainted the yellow and orange. I applied a layer of floor wax to add shine.


 If you'd like to try faux Ukrainian Easter eggs you'll need:
1. Some sort of sealer to add the shine.
2. Acrylic craft paint and paint extender.
3. A pin board for drying. (Poke pins into a scrap of foam core.)
4. Liner and small round brushes for detail work and a flat brush for base coating.
5. Pencil, and permanent markers for the doodled eggs.
6. Real blown–out or paper mache eggs.
7. Patterns, or make your own.

If you'd like to do real pysanky with wax and dyes (and I still do), see Suzy's tutorial on Suzy's Artsy–Crafty Sitcom. She clearly details the process. The author of my book is the original owner of the shop she recommends for supplies. I'll be ordering a new kistka and dyes, and you may still see some true eggs done before Easter.

In the meantime, I'm going to paint a few more eggs. I even stole a few of my kids' plastic eggs to make more paper mache eggs.

Thanks,
Aimee


Linked up @
Sew Can Do * Happy Hour Projects * Pincushion Creations * The Crafty Blog Stalker * homework * Be Colorful * Domestically Speaking * Somewhat Simple * House of Hepworths * 733 * A Glimpse Inside * Yesterday on Tuesday * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Craftionary * Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo * Nifty Thrifty Things * Fireflies and Jelly Beans

12 comments:

  1. Don't be sad, your fake Ukranean are adorable! I am from Romania and we make eggs like this, also (we share a border with Ukraine, so it's the same area). PS: Thank you for visiting my fake wallpaper. You are the first to notice the retro vibe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous that you could find such awesome stickers.

      Delete
  2. Your eggs are beautiful. I just started a Spring contest. You are welcome to link these up for a chance to win. Hope you do. Happy st. patties (almost).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindie. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome. Let me know if you try it.

      Delete
  4. How amazing are these.. I just pinned these on my Easter Board.. :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your eggs are beautiful! I found you through Bacon Time btw. Thanks for sharing!
    Warm wishes, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittany. I love your ideas for April Fooling your kids. I still have a few hours to plan.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!