Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

I Double Dog Dare You (to try hand lettering)

When I'm working on something scary (like my upholstered chair), I often have to dare myself to try. Not just dare myself, but double dog dare myself. Once I get started, I usually get in the zone and just go. It's making the first cut or taking the first step that is the trouble.


I thought I'd better make a reminder that sometimes the first step is getting the courage to try. I opened Hand Lettering to the Roman lettering page, grabbed graph paper, and got to sketching. I like to use blank 4x6 index cards as my canvas.


I drew out a 6x4 in. area and made judicious use of the eraser until I was happy with my sketch. (The book even suggests you trace their letters, which is not cheating!)


To make my transfer, I scribbled with a pencil on the back of the pattern and traced it to the card using my light board and a sharp pencil. I actually had to trace it out twice because I had a marker bleed on the first one. Having a graph paper master pattern allows you to make multiple copies of your own work.


Add color. (I bought that paint set when I was in junior high and had to ride the city bus to the mall.) I used a fine Sharpie to outline.


I framed my piece in a dollar store frame so I can display it wherever and whenever I'm working on something.


Here's one for you.



Do you have a project where you need to double dog dare yourself to get started?

Thanks,
Aimee


Linked Up @
Serenity Today *

5 comments:

  1. Cute story! I love the lettering you did :) I guess I should take your dare too because I am terrible at writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - I wanted to let you know that I featured your link up from last week: www.InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

    -Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for your support. Love your site.

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday
    Hope to see you there again tomorrow

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!