Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Craft Book Challenge Week 11: Ukrainian Easter Eggs


Photo by: Charles Keeler, Eggs Beautiful
Yesterday, I was looking for my kistka (melted wax stylus) to make Ukrainian Easter eggs. I never did find it, but I now have an organized laundry room, attic, game cupboard, and craft shelf.

I gambled that the little art/craft/hobby store where all good supplies go to die would have something.


Oh yes, they had something. For about $13 I got a cake of beeswax and fine and medium tip tjanting tools. They're used for both batik and Ukrainian Easter eggs (pysanky).


My mom bought Eggs Beautiful on a trip to Minneapolis one year along with the kistka and the aniline dyes necessary to produce the bright colors. I sat at the kitchen table for hours playing with the patterns and the wax. I'm ready to try again. Now to find some dyes.

Thanks,
Aimee

4 comments:

  1. hmm - i feel like i'm on a hunt - i wanted to see the project you worked on over the weekend --- online anyway!
    can't wait to see how this project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week... I'll let you know. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!