Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week 6 Update: Cushion Victory!

Home sewing is like doing a 5,000–piece 3D puzzle. Pieces that you swear should go together usually don't. And you'd better not lose the picture that shows you what the finished puzzle looks like; otherwise, you're never getting that model of the Taj Mahal built.

This is the back of the upper cushion!

I didn't dare take this construction apart so I traced the pieces with chalk.


Last week I wanted to sew the cushion for my Week 4 upholstery project. I've never liked sewing welting, and my mind was not changed. The book More Sewing for the Home did lead me through cutting out a new cushion pattern, sewing on the welting, and sewing all the pieces together. I couldn't have done it without the pictures leading me by the hand.


I spent as many hours putting this sucker together as it probably would have taken me to put together a 3D puzzle when all the pieces are the same color. I sewed into my finger once, repinned everything at least three times, refilled the bobbin too many times to count, and yelled at my sewing machine... a lot.

But I have a cushion that fits and is straight. Don't look at it too closely. Who does that anyway?


Thanks,
Aimee

4 comments:

  1. Well done! You must have a lot of patience and determination! I like the new fabric you have used. Its looking good.
    Hugs Sharon xxx (England)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thank you so much for your vote of confidence! At this point, it's more determination than patience.

      Delete
  2. I'm loving it so far!! D and I talked today about the basic things that we must all know (since we can't know everything) and one was that "You can do anything you want if you are willing to work at it and persevere". Here's to perseverance! Namely, yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That child is a genius! He must have a smart mommy. :)

      Delete

Tell me what you think!